Adding Energy Saving Mode To Tumblr
Since we all know that Tumblr is a site that is full of animated GIFs, music, videos and other heavy graphics and media, it might cost you battery life if you are using a laptop or a tablet. So in this case, we are going to introduce to you a great way to save energy with your Tumblr blog - by using the Energy Saving Mode.
About the Energy Saving Mode
A website called Online Leaf provides a script which you can install to your Tumblr's custom HTML theme. What it does is simple: it hides your heavy graphics and animations and slightly darkens the screen when you remain idle for a certain amount of time (default is 60 seconds). Here is how to install the Energy Saving Mode script for Tumblr.
Installing the script
The script is very simple and easy to install, as it is already in Online Leaf's website. Here are instructions on how to install the Energy Saving Mode feature to your Tumblr blog:
- Go to your Tumblr dashboard and click Settings (gear icon).
- Next, look for the blog you wish to update and click on it.
- Click on Customize below the theme.
- On the top-left settings, click on the Edit HTML button. Remember to backup your whole HTML code to a text editor such as Notepad before pasting code, so that if it screws up, you have a backup.
Paste this code before the </head> tag:
- If it does not work, try pasting it before the </head> tag instead.
You can also change the amount of time before the Energy Saving Mode activates. Just put "?time=secs" (without the quotations), wherein 'secs' is the number of seconds.
- This will trigger the Energy Saving Mode script to run after 100 seconds.
- Click Preview Changes to see if it works, and click Save.
Adding an Energy Saving Mode to your Tumblr is a great idea to save energy especially if you have many animations and heavy graphics on your blog. You can also share it with your friends so that they, too, can save energy using this wonderful and easy-to-install script.